Editors for Scientific American believe recent studies suggest that fluoride raises the risks of disorders affecting teeth, bones, the brain and the thyroid gland, and in general “scientific attitudes” about fluoridation may be shifting.
"Fluoride, the most consumed drug in the USA, is deliberately added to 2/3 of public water supplies theoretically to reduce tooth decay, but with no scientifically-valid evidence proving safety or effectiveness," says lawyer Paul Beeber, president of the New York State Coalition Opposed to Fluoridation.
Meanwhile, according to environmental reporter and director of New York University's Science, Health and Environmental Reporting Program Dan Fagin, "There is no universally accepted optimal level for daily intake of fluoride."
After analyzing hundreds of fluoride studies, researchers found that fluoride:
- Alters endocrine function, especially in the thyroid
- Causes dental fluorosis in young children
- May lower IQ
- May increase the risk of bone fractures
|Dr. Mercola's Comments:|
|If more Americans knew that fluoride, which many dentists STILL mistakenly promote as the panacea for healthy teeth, is also the active toxin in rat poisons and cockroach powder, I suspect they would feel vastly different about ingesting it via drinking water and toothpaste. |
But FINALLY the tides do seem to be turning.
In 2005, eleven unions within the EPA publicly called for a ban of water fluoridation, over concerns that it may cause bone cancer. And in 2006, the American Dental Association warned parents of infants not to use fluoridated water when mixing baby formula.
When you begin to examine the evidence surrounding water fluoridation, this gradual retraction makes perfect sense.
As award-winning journalist Christopher Bryson revealed in his book The Fluoride Deception, there has been a multi-tiered effort -- or as Bryson says, an abuse of power -- by military and industry scientists and public health officials to shamelessly promote fluoride to the dentistry field and the American public with little regard to the implications it would have on human health.
Just what are those potential implications?
1. Fluoride accumulates in your bones and makes them more brittle and prone to fracture. Lifetime exposure to fluoride will contribute to higher rates of hip fracture in the elderly.
2. Fluoride accumulates in your pineal gland, possibly lowering the production of melatonin, a very important regulatory hormone
3. There are serious concerns about a connection between fluoridation and the current epidemics of both arthritis and hypothyroidism.
4. In animal studies fluoride at 1 ppm in drinking water increases the uptake of aluminum into your brain.
5. Counties with 3 ppm or more of fluoride in their water have lower fertility rates.
6. The fluoridating agents most commonly used in the United States not only increase the uptake of lead into children's blood but are also associated with an increase in violent behavior.
Of course, the main reason why fluoride is reportedly added to the U.S. water supply in the first place is to prevent cavities. Yet, data compiled by the World Health Organization shows no difference in tooth decay in countries that use fluoridated water compared with countries that don’t use fluoridated water. So not only is fluoride unsafe, it is ineffective as well.
Get That Fluoride Out of Your Water!
If you are receiving your water from a municipal water supply in the United States, your water is probably fluoridated -- and a simple carbon filter will not remove it.
You must filter your tap water with a reverse osmosis filter to remove fluoride, and remember to use this water not only for drinking but also for washing fruits and veggies, making ice cubes and cooking.
You can also join the fight against water fluoridation by supporting the Fluoride Action Network’s petition to end water fluoridation. It’s already been signed by over 1,200 professionals, including a Nobel Prize winner, three officers in the union representing professionals at EPA headquarters, the executive board of the American Academy of Environmental Medicine, leading fluoride researchers, and medical, dental, scientific and environmental professionals from around the world.
To voice your opinion against water fluoridation, simply send this immediate e-mail to your senators and representative.
Can You Imagine Celebrating Fluoridation?
Is Fluoride Really As Safe As You Are Told?
Fluoride: Trading Tooth Decay for Cellular Death?